This program is administered
by the Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board (MRMIB).
Who can join Healthy Families
Who may qualify?
- Children up to their 19th birthday; and
- Children who did not have health insurance through someone's job in the last three months; and
- Children living in California; and
- Children who are not eligible for or who are not enrolled in no-cost Medi-Cal; and
- Children who meet citizenship or immigration rules; and
- Children in families with incomes within the Healthy Families Guidelines; and
- Children born to mothers enrolled in the Access for Infants and Mothers (AIM) Program. The children can not be enrolled in the no-cost Medi-Cal or have health insurance through someone's job.
Who can apply?
- Parents, legal guardians, stepparents, foster parents, or caretaker relatives may apply for insurance for a child living in their home. Only the parents’ income will be considered. If you are a legal guardian, stepparent, foster parent, or caretaker relative who lives with a child, your income will not be used to qualify the child for Healthy Families.
- If you are 18 years old, you may apply for your own insurance.
- If you are a minor, you may apply for your children.
- Minors who do not live with parents, legal guardians, stepparents, foster parents, or caretaker relatives may apply for Healthy Families for themselves or their children.
What types of papers do I need to send in as proof of my family's income?
The application form has information on the types of papers required as proof of income.
How do I apply for Healthy Families?
Apply online at www.healtheapp.net; or Fill out the application and mail it in the envelope provided. A complete application includes:
- All questions answered.
- Copies of papers showing your income — see application for examples.
- Copies of all other required papers.