Healthy Families Program
This program is administered
by the Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board (MRMIB).
Who can join Healthy Families?
Who may qualify?
- Children up to their 19th birthday; and
- Children in the family without employer-sponsored health insurance in the last three months; and
- Children living in California; and
- Children who are not eligible for or who are not enrolled in no-cost Medi-Cal; and
- Children who meet citizenship or immigration rules; and
- Children in families with incomes within the Healthy Families Guidelines; and
- Children born to mothers enrolled in the Access for Infants and Mothers (AIM) Program, who are not enrolled in the no-cost full scope Medi-Cal Program or employer-sponsored health insurance.
Who can apply?
- Parents, legal guardians, stepparents, foster parents, or caretaker relatives may apply for insurance for a child living in their home. Only the parents’ income will be considered. If you are a legal guardian, step- parent, foster parent, or caretaker relative who lives with a child, your income will not be used to qualify the child for Healthy Families.
- If you are 18 years old, you may apply for yourself.
- If you are a minor, you may apply for your child.
- Minors who do not live with their parents, legal guardians, stepparents, foster parents, or caretaker relatives may apply for Healthy Families for themselves or their child.
How do I apply for Healthy Families?
Fill out the application and mail it in the envelope provided. A complete application includes:
- All questions answered.
- Copies of papers showing your income - see application for examples.
- Copies of all other required papers.
What types of papers do I need to send in as proof of my family's income?
The application form has information on the types of papers required as proof of income.